If you’ve ever been on the receiving end of a gift card for a store you dislike, or had one burning a hole in your pocket that you know you’ll never use, then you’re not alone.
Whether it’s for a store you never shop at or for an amount that’s too small to be useful, unused gift cards are the bane of many people’s existence.
In fact, according to a recent report by Forbes, there is an estimated $1 billion in unused gift card value sitting around in the U.S. right now. But what if I told you there was something you could do about it?
From selling it for cash at NOSH Gift card trader to getting creative with it, here’s everything you need to know about what to do with unused gift cards.
1. Sell your unused gift card for cash.
What if I told you there’s a way to get cash for your unused gift card? It’s true! There are now platforms that allow you to sell unused gift cards for cash, which means you can finally get rid of those pesky cards once and for all.
One of the most popular platforms for selling unused gift cards in Nigeria is NOSH. NOSH is a card trading app on Android and Apple devices that allows you to sell unused gift cards for cash.
To use the app, simply download it from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, create an account, and then add the details of the gift card you want to sell, such as the type, value, etc. Once your gift card is verified, NOSH will pay you almost instantly.
This is one of the best ways to deal with unused gift cards, as you’ll get rid of them quickly and easily, and you’ll also receive cash that you can use to buy something else!
Related: Top 10 Best Gift Cards With Highest Rates To Sell in Nigeria
2. Swap your unused gift card.
If selling your card for cash doesn’t appeal to you, then swap it for a different gift card that you will actually use.
This can be done easily enough by finding someone who has a gift card for a store that you like and then swapping your unused gift card with theirs. This way, both parties end up with a gift card that they can actually use, and there’s no need for anyone to lose out on any value.
Where do you swap gift cards?
- Local Facebook groups: A great place to start looking for someone to swap gift cards with is in local Facebook groups. There are usually plenty of people who are looking to offload their unused gift cards, and you may be able to find someone who has a card for a store that you like.
- Reddit: Another option is to check out Reddit. There are a number of subreddits dedicated to gift card trading, such as /r/giftcardexchange, where you can find people to swap cards with.
3. Don’t let an unused gift card go to waste – donate it to charity!
Since you know you’re not gonna be using that unused gift card, why not donate it to charity? This way, you can help out a good cause, and you won’t have to feel guilty about letting the card go unused.
There are a number of charities that accept unused gift cards, such as Save the Children, which provides educational opportunities and resources to children in need all over the world.
Another great option is the American Red Cross, which helps those affected by disasters all over the United States. You can also donate unused gift cards to your local animal shelter, as many of them are always in need of supplies.
To donate your unused gift card, simply find a charity that accepts them and then contact them to arrange the donation. It’s as simple as that!
4. Return the card to the issuer.
If you’re really not sure what to do with your unused gift card, then another option is to return it to the issuer. This is usually only possible if the card was purchased from a physical store, and you will need to have the original purchase receipt.
If you don’t have the receipt, then you might still be able to return the card if you contact the customer service department of the store where the card was purchased and explain the situation. They may be able to help you out.
However, it’s important to note that most stores have a no-returns policy for gift cards, so this option may not be available to you.
How to return an unused gift card:
To return an unused gift card, you will need the following:
- The unused gift card
- The original purchase receipt
- A form of ID
If you have all of these items, then you can take the card and receipt to the customer service desk of the store where the card was purchased and explain that you would like to return it. They will process the return for you, and you should receive a refund.
5. Regift it for someone else’s birthday or Christmas.
Why not wait for a rainy day and regift that unused gift card to someone else? This way, you won’t have to feel guilty about letting it go unused, and the recipient can choose their present!
Of course, you’ll need to make sure that the card is for a store the person likes; otherwise, it’s just a waste of a good gift. But if you know they’ll appreciate it, then give it to them!
Things to consider when regifting a gift card:
- Make sure the card is for a store that the person likes
- Make sure the card hasn’t expired
- Make sure the card is for the correct amount
If you’re unsure whether the person will like the gift card, then it’s best not to give it to them. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
6. Get creative and make something out of it.
We only recommend this option for gift cards that are no longer usable (i.e., expired or invalid). After all, if you can still get money off of the card, then you might as well just use it!
But if you’re feeling creative, then there are several things that you can do with an unused gift card. Here are some fun ideas:
- Use it as a bookmark! Cut the card into the shape of a book, and voila – you’ve got yourself a new bookmark.
- Make it into a keychain! All you need is a hole punch and some string, and you can easily turn that unused gift card into a keychain.
- Get crafty and make a piece of jewelry! This one might take some more time and effort, but if you’re up for the challenge, why not make a necklace or bracelet out of the card?
These are just a few ideas – there are plenty of other things you can do with unused gift cards, so get creative and see what you can come up with!
If you have an unused gift card, you don’t need to waste it. Plenty of options are available for trading or selling unused gift cards, so you can finally get rid of them once and for all.
And if you don’t want to trade or sell your card on NOSH, there are still plenty of other things you can do with it – from donating it to charity to regifting it to someone else.